These sound pretty interesting. I saw the episode where she makes these, and they did look good on TV. The reviews on the Food Network are good for the most part.
I read through some of them and this is what I gathered as far as substitutions:
1. You can use regular whole wheat flour for the pastry flour and ap flour
2. You can replace the bran flakes with more oats, some people used types of Kashi go lean cereals instead of the bran flakes
3. You can sub applesauce, pumpkin puree, or another flavor of baby food for carrots. I even read some reviewers used mango or pineapple or other baby food combinations
4. Some people used honey or agave instead of white sugar
5. Of course you can substitute any other dried fruit for raisins and you can use whatever nuts you have around
Leave your tips and thoughts on this recipe here.
Jessica at Johnston's Vin Blanc already made these and posted since she is on vacation. Check out her post for her rendition of these cookies.