Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tell All - Garden Risotto

Is everyone ready to stir, stir, stir, stir, stir, and then stir some more?

Well, I am. I absolutely love risotto and I have a whole freezer full of homemade chicken stock to use for this. I will be leaving out the peas since when it comes to peas, Nick and I are like children and refuse to eat them. I will definitely be adding some garlic to this, and maybe some leeks, and perhaps some nice meaty mushrooms, too.

How do you feel about risotto - love it, hate it (is such a thing possible)? I have read that some people are intimidated/afraid to make it. Any risottophobes out there? Will this be anyone's first time making it?

Happy risotto eating to everyone ;)

9 comments:

  1. I made this last week and it's a very, very traditional risotto recipe. I used homemade chicken stock (from my freezer, too!) and short grain carnaroli rice. Other than that I just followed the recipe. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fairly new to risotto; I think I've only made it maybe twice. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe but not sure about the veggie combination. Neither of us are big fans of peas or spinach; any other suggestions for things we might add instead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be the first time I'll make risotto.... I've always been quite intimidated about it and as I don't eat a lot of rice because I'm not a huge fan of rice (I prefer pasta's) I've never made risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird, but on page 251 of my cookbook, it is a different recipe and I cannot find Garden Risotto in my book. I'll have to get the recipe online, but is anyone else having this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attn New to Risotto:

    Make sure you toast the rice well. Doing so, will go far in creating the right flavor and texture balance of the finished rice. Stir, STIR, STIR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Peggy. I have corrected the page number for the risotto recipe. It is on page 273.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made it tonight and it was really tasty! Great pick, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was awesome! A total hit at our house!!!! Deliciously decadent with a good textural balance, thanks to the veggies. We loved it. Thanks, Jessica...great pick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum I didn't even notice this recipe was in the book! I might take out the peas too, I'm not a big fan.

    This will be my first time making risotto! Wish me luck :) What is everyone eating their risotto with??

    ReplyDelete